🌈 Educational | Boystown (East Lakeview) Chicago
Glossary: Boystown, Chicago neighborhood
@tony_dimov Chicago Pride Parade Day 2022
Boystown is a neighborhood located in the Lakeview area of Chicago. It is known as one of the largest LGBTQ+ communities in the United States and is a popular destination for nightlife, entertainment, and cultural events.
Boystown is centered around North Halsted Street, between Belmont Avenue and Grace Street. The neighborhood is home to numerous LGBTQ+ bars, clubs, restaurants, and shops, making it a vibrant and inclusive community.
In addition to its nightlife scene, Boystown also hosts several annual events, including the Chicago Pride Parade, which attracts thousands of participants and spectators each year. The neighborhood is also known for its colorful and vibrant street art, with many buildings adorned with murals and sculptures.
Boystown is easily accessible by public transportation, with several bus routes and the Red, Brown, and Purple Line trains serving the area. The neighborhood is also within walking distance of Lake Michigan and the popular Lakefront Trail.
Overall, Boystown is a lively and diverse neighborhood that celebrates LGBTQ+ culture and offers a wide range of entertainment options for residents and visitors alike.
- 1. Sidetrack: This iconic LGBTQ+ bar is known for its large video screens, lively dance floor, and themed events.
- 2. The Kit Kat Lounge & Supper Club: This glamorous venue offers drag shows, live music, and delicious cocktails.
- 3. Roscoe's Tavern: A popular LGBTQ+ bar with multiple levels, featuring a dance floor, outdoor patio, and regular drag shows.
- 4. The Chicago Diner: A beloved vegetarian and vegan restaurant known for its delicious comfort food and friendly atmosphere.
- 5. The Center on Halsted: This LGBTQ+ community center offers a variety of programs, events, and resources for the community.
- 6. Boystown Market & Stores: A local market featuring a variety of shops, boutiques, and restaurants. LGBTQ+ attire, outfits and more!
- 7. Belmont Theatre : This theater district offers a range of performances, including plays, musicals, and comedy shows.
- 8. The Legacy Walk: An outdoor public art installation that celebrates LGBTQ+ history and achievements.
- 9. The Chicago Pride Parade: One of the largest Pride parades in the country, featuring colorful floats, music, and a celebration of LGBTQ+ culture. Last sunday of every June
Safety Pass ✔️
Boystown is generally considered a safe neighborhood. It has a strong LGBTQ+ community presence and is known for its inclusive and welcoming atmosphere. The neighborhood has a visible police presence and security measures in place to ensure the safety of residents and visitors.
However, like any urban area, it is always important to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings. It is recommended to take common-sense safety precautions, such as staying in well-lit areas, traveling in groups when possible, and keeping personal belongings secure.
Boystown also has a strong community spirit, with residents and businesses working together to maintain a safe and vibrant neighborhood. The Center on Halsted, mentioned earlier, offers resources and support for LGBTQ+ individuals, including safety and self-defense workshops.